logo
 
?

crazy fruits emulator

an emulator by the name of hhugboy, which is very very heavily based on GEST.

Because the world definitely needed another gameboy emulator.

I have zero experience of emulator coding and I've done a little bit of C before (which 99% of emulators are written in) but I don't get along with the language one bit, so it's been kind of...

A learning experience for me, to say the least, but I've finally got something I'm fairly happy with. Li Cheng's was easy, Sintax's was a bit more work and isn't 100% perfect (new dumps may or may not run, but most should).

The major thing with this emulator is it supports Sintax and Li Cheng mappers on unmodified copies of their roms (ie the "raw dump" versions I've posted previously). Also, for any other emu authors or other interested parties, I'm going to document those two as much as I can at some point soon.

I've been hacking these games to make them work on standard emulators, but this has proved a little difficult with a few games, which got me thinking - why not try and emulate their mappers instead? This does raise the problem of how to detect which games use which mappers - I've kind of tried to fudge it based on the boot logo but that isn't 100% reliable so I've put in a manual override in the menu too.

It'd be nice if the Game Boy had a ROM file format like the NES's (i NES and UNIF) containing cartridge info independent of the internal GB ROM header (which was set by the developers and often wrong for unlicensed games) avoiding the need for either hacks, dubious autodetection attempts or manual overrides to determine which mapper to use.

I don't know if there's enough interest for something like this to take off, given that it's only necessary for unlicensed games (and Mani's multicarts) though.

Anyway I've made a bunch of other improvements and tweaks to the original GEST, including screenshots, a recent ROM list, sharper filtering at larger sizes, Unicode filename support (which I haven't seen in any other emu, so have fun naming your roms in whatever language takes your fancy), a nicer/somehow appropriate onscreen font (from codeman38), and more! (also I realise there aren't any Li Cheng roms out there to play on this thing but I'm planning to fix that in the near future too) first off, congrats for this new emu!

Latest downloads, source code and issue tracker can all be found on bitbucket, so.there! it's very nice to have the pirate mappers documented.concerning ROM header, please god no!

I NES format is really a kick in the guts of emulation accuracy and it only works if the dumpers sets the correct header, which for half of the NES pirate dumps has never happened (a lot of them just got labeled as MMC3 even if they were not, so that they only worked in specific emulators which recognized them by crc modifying MMC3 emulation accordingly).

So unless you manage to centralize dumping efforts, emu authors just have to hope that dumpers set the correct mapper in the header...autodetection or a game database is the only correct way to handle this, I fear.anyway, back to the syntax games, I had spent a lot of time in the past month trying to understand how the protection worked (to support them accurately in MESS) and your emulator shred full light on that.